13 November 2015

NaNoWriMo Update

I mentioned before I felt like a had a win in me this year. That has been seriously challenged this past week. I had a surprise medical issue appear which kept me in the hospital for two entire days. I feebly wrote about 100 words in that time. Since then I've been a little slow to get back into the writing routine, and blogging on top of that has been impossible. In the last three days, though, I have recovered my creative momentum to some extent. I have managed close to or over 2,000 words a day for three days in a row. I'm still very much behind over all, but I'm catching up. There was one day this week I was 8,000 words behind! That's when I doubted. Things are looking much better going into weekend two so I can again say, I think I'm going to win this year.

I big chunk of the story I've written involves the angel-being giving Rasmus formulas for various scientific breakthroughs which weren't really (so far as I know) part of the Seventeenth Century. The problem is I don't know much, if anything, about chemistry myself let alone what type of substances would have been common to an alchemy bench in that period. I could do the research right now, but that kind of detail is somewhat against the spirit of NaNoWriMo. Don't make sure it's right, just make sure it progresses. So to that end I have avoiding details and I've tried not to worry about chemical names. I've just thrown stuff together: Merchant's gall, silver tincture and Carpathian red are names I have used for chemicals. What at these supposed to be, really? It doesn't matter! Keep writing.

I didn't have a clear plot when I began, but one keeps emerging as I progress. Rasmus has cured a plague with his new angel science which I never intended for him to even confront. That story arc is almost over though, so I'll need to introduce something else soon. Progress! Keep writing! Right now my word count is 18378 words.
By now I should have 21671 words.

No comments: