25 August 2010

Han Has it Just Right

As I mentioned in my review, I could not stop reading A Dictionary of Maqiao by Han Shaogong. I think it fits within the definition of magical realism. The story is based on personal experience, so there is some amount of reality to it. But Han is not exactly writing his memoirs, he’s trying to convey the voice of the people of the village. What they believe about dream-women and maple demons and purple-teeth soil is real for the purposes of the story. It’s stronger than that, even, because belief is as good as reality to the extent that people act on their beliefs (and who doesn’t). Belief IS reality from each person’s point of view. In that way, all reality is constructed. The very best of magical realism makes one question one’s own point of view. That’s my understanding of what magical realism is.

My point is this: Han’s book has served to convince me that I want to use magical realism for this year’s NaNoWriMo. It’ll be the Iceland / melting glacier / Norse Mythology idea I mentioned before. Is the glacier melting because of climate change? Yes, for the daughter. Is the glacier melting because the kids don’t visit anymore? Yes, for the father. Is the glacier melting because it’s time for the Age of Fire and Gravel? Yes, for the older son. Something like that.
ice in Iceland

No comments: