20 March 2014

A Review: Merciless: The Rise of Ming by Scott Beatty, Ron Adrian, et. al.


4/5 stars.
Let me start off by saying I know next to nothing about the Flash Gordon storyworld. Flash Gordon, Earth's dashing hero in a red rocketship, thwarts the invasion attempts of Emperor Ming the Merciless. That's about it.

I got this comic from the title alone. I assumed it would be like Gregory Maguire's Wicked, which I enjoyed immensely. It is only broadly similar in that it is about the younger days of a famous villain. Unlike misunderstood Elphaba, young Ming is ruthless and merciless right from the first pages. Beatty's is not a tale of how Prince Ming became so merciless, but a tale of how quickly an ambitious man can rise. I would have liked a little bit more complexity from the characters, but it is good for what it is.

One by one Ming “renegotiates” the old treaties between the nations of Mongo, each time coming out stronger an more secure in his position. I particularly like the way these shtick nations such as the Hawkmen and the Sharkmen were portrayed. I assume these subjugated nations are only part of the Mongo empire so Flash Gordon can have enemies on land, sea and air. In this comic these different nations are given a little more gravitas then I assume they had in the old film shorts. Even stock characters with reverse-SCUBA gear are more interesting when they get to speak for themselves.

One last thing I will comment on: the art is great! Adrian's art, with color by Roni Setiawan, is a great look for this revisiting of a retro vision of the future. The costume and character design feels like it fits with the 1930s ideals of the future as well as with modern fantasy aesthetics. The technology is similarly treated with a mix of camp and cutting edge. This story is not science fiction so much as science fantasy and the rich color pallet for Mongo and the flamboyant costumes fit that perfectly.

A great read.

No comments: