04 November 2013

I Love NaNoWriMo!


I just finished my required word count for the day. It’s still early, so a may actually get ahead today.
I love NaNoWriMo. I had the general shape of the story framed out in my mind before I started but I love how the need to move forward with the writing makes filling in the details so easy. It hardly matters to the story what a character is named so the first one you think of is good enough. You can always go back later and change it if you need to. Then sometimes those one-off decisions inspire whole other structures that the story world needed. One example. Because I recently read a passing reference to The Tale of Genji, sometimes called the first novel in history, I decided to name my old warrior Genji. Then I spontaneously decided to call him The Genji. That implies a whole system of titles with specific roles in the kingdom for The Genji. At least it does to me. This idea of the character going by a title alone is perfect for other threads I am drawing through the story. This is why NaNoWriMo is so great. It is hard to make a mistake and almost any decision you make improves the story.

The benchmark word count for today is: 6668
My total word count so far is: 6764

No comments: