12 November 2013

What My Story is About


I wrote a fair amount again today. I was worried this weekend that I had hit my personal “wall” as far as word count goes. I have only won NaNoWriMo once. Most of the other times I gave up somewhere between 12-20k words. Well, I am happy to say that I have now passed that wall handily. It was more sitting in waiting rooms that catapulted me to where I am.
That is a good a transition as any to say that while I am not ready to recount my plot outline yet, I now know what my story is about. It is about my own “middle age.” I am in my 30s so that’s not technically middle age, but I don’t feel young anymore, so that’s the middle, I guess. In my novel I have two young characters and two old characters. The young ones are idealistic and motivated and the old characters are a little bitter and are dealing with lost dreams, forgotten memories and resentment. Not that I think that defines “older people.” My characters have this shared tragedy that they are looking at in different ways. I feel that these ideas are in my mind at this time because I am neither young nor old. I am working through what it is like to be the age I am by looking through the eyes of these differently aged characters. That’s what it seems like anyway. I’m going to mull that idea over and see if it shows up explicitly in my writing in the next few days.

The benchmark word count for today is: 20004
My total word count so far is: 21660

No comments: