22 November 2013

In the Background


So, all this month I have had 2.5 projects on in the background. It is better to say that NaNoWriMo is in the background of those other projects. Those are writing projects in the gaming industry. They will see print and I will write about them when appropriate. One of these projects finished up this week, so that’s off my plate. There are still the other 1.5 projects. I spent much of yesterday and today working with my co-author on the biggest one. There are some parts of a project that work better when the two authors can sit together and play off each other’s ideas in real time and write everything down right then. We sat in the local coffee shop and worked together. Actually, he did most of the work. What we produced turned out well. He is a coffee shop writer. I am not, except when I meet with him.

Then, as it happened, I had two hours to kill tonight and as I had not yet worked on NaNoWriMo for the day I went to coffee shop and wrote. It was a different location of the same local chain. That’s the first time I have gone to a coffee place to write just for my own project. Even on a Friday night, there were plenty of other people in there working. It wasn’t a bad time. I can see the appeal. There is just enough chatter and low key music and bean grinding noise to turn into a nice white noise. I’m not sure I will ever become a regular, but I would be willing to try it again.

In the story the Genji made it all the way to the hive tonight. I expected him to meet with warriors and fight his way in. Instead he was met with a group of chanting insects who lined the path for him like an honor guard. I didn’t expect that. I imagine they are some kind of apocalypse cult within the hive which knows what is about to go down. In editing, I’ll have to develop that idea some more and drop in some hints.

The benchmark word count for today is: 36674
My total word count so far is: 36958

No comments: