09 November 2008

Et Maintenant il est Après Minuit…

I keep meaning to get these posts up before the date rolls over. I guess I can’t be too upset about it tonight, though, because I was in the zone. I checked the time about 23:00 and then when I looked again it was 23:58. No chance to type up a post by then! Alas. Buuuut, like I said, I was in the zone tonight! I was for most of the day, really. This morning I started out close to 700 words down. That bit at the end of yesterday’s post about going back to it… that didn’t happen. I worked most of the day and now I’m ending the day over 1,000 words ahead. I’ve written 3,800 words today! That’s the most of any day so far this WriMo. It may be my most productive day ever. I can’t be sure of course, because I don’t keep daily word counts the rest of the time, but it feels like I got a lot done. With this new total I have surpassed my WriMo from last year – in only 8 days! My final total for that book was only 12,303 words.

I did some very good work on chapter five. Things just came together for the alien character as I was writing about her lying on the rocks expecting to die. I’ve thought of a way to improve the character and gain a lot of insight into the alien species and their hive culture. I think all that stuff is fascinating and that’s one of the main reasons I’m into this project in the first place. It wasn’t planned. Somewhere between one key stroke and the next, the path was clear. I guess that’s all that making gold stuff Stroud was talking about.

After I finished that chapter I went on to another. The new one features another main character, Riley Mosley. He’s the Mayor/Captain of the community living inside the asteroid where the aliens also live. I’ve introduced his heritage, talked about his swanky (for a Spartan) office, shown him examining a strangely carved stone he found recently, and now he is discussing growing tomatoes with his second in command. I’m close to the end of it now. I just need to introduce one more little idea before I can move on, so I might go finish it up after I post this.

I’ve also decided that I need to re-arrange the chapters. So the chapter I was just discussing (the 6th I’ve written) has moved up to be chapter four and the one I wrote as chapter five (the alien chapter) has moved down to be chapter seven. Here’s a list of what I have so far:
1. Aliens steal an ancient artifact
2. Meghin begins to investigate the aliens
3. Pyotr painting and then at work on Mars
4. Riley at Deep Dark, dealing with various things
5. Meghin goes to see a lead about the artifact
6.
7. Artifact reaches the alien hive
Tomorrow I’ll start chapter six!

By now I should have 13,336 words.
My current count is 14,802 words.

No comments: