02 November 2008

Not Much of a Much

I had a really long list of things I wanted to get done today and just wasn’t able to squeeze in much time for working on my WriMo. This is a bad sign. It’s only day two! With the big lead I got yesterday, however, I am still ahead of the game. Ever so slightly ahead.

Yesterday I wrote the first chapter, in which the aliens – xenomorphs – break into the museum. I continued on into the second chapter, in which Meghin arrives on the scene and takes a look around. Today I finished up chapter two, but it was mostly the events of chapter one seen from a different perspective as a human watches what the aliens did on security tapes. I feel like I didn’t really advance the plot much. I can take consolation in the fact that Meghin’s attitude and her thoughts about what she’s seeing begin to reveal her character. That’s good. I’ve read (or heard) some famous line about writing that states every sentence of a “well written” story should advance the plot or reveal character. I don’t claim to have anywhere near that kind of efficiency, but that is, very broadly, what I’ve written in my first two chapters: plot and character. I guess I need more plot next.

By now I should have 3,334 words.
My current count is 3,352 words.

No comments: