05 November 2008

Longest Chapter Ever

Today was a good day for writing. That’s the only thing I did today, but a made great progress. I wrote 3300 words today! That’s the most I’ve written in one day yet. It’s all in chapter four too, which is still not done. It was supposed to be Meghin going to see a contact connected to the mystery of the aliens’ behavior. Even after all that writing, though, I’m not quite there yet. First I had to describe her office and them how she said goodbye to an old friend. Then she gets on a jump ship to space hop over to other side of the planet and that makes her think of when she had to evacuate Earth as a child. When she actually gets there… Well, I wrote a bunch of stuff. Mostly it is a series of conversations with really eccentric minor characters. It’s all interesting stuff, I’m just not getting around to writing the actual conversation Meghin went to have. I’m going to go work on that when I finish this post. Hopefully it turns out well.

Without my consent this guy she’s visiting has expressed himself as some kind of travel agent slash geologist who sometimes deals in alien artifacts. He’s from an Amish community on the next planet over. That’s right. Amish folks. In space. It’s an idea I’ve wanted to use for a long a long time and somehow it snuck right into this story and now I have to go with it. He uses some kind of dumbbell-shaped communication device Meghin doesn’t recognize and speaks with an accent she can’t place. Oh and he has wooden furniture. Not sim-u-plast, real wood. Very exciting stuff.

I intend to periodically put up notable excerpts when I’ve written something I consider “good enough.” Today I wrote my first of those bits. It’s Meghin remembering her past. I claim all rights to my original characters and words. Do not re-post without consent.

*******
“We call them bugs,” Mother is telling her as they pack a small bag. Granmama is already by the door, clearly upset and mumbling something about the revenge of Kawil. Little Meghin, no more than five, doesn’t understand why they have to go. Bugs are only big after all, she thinks. Mother sets down her big gun and takes ahold of little Meghin’s shoulders. There are tears at the corners of her eyes. Meghin can’t remember if she has ever seen her mother cry before. “Meghin, these are big bugs, from space.” You know ‘space,’ right?”
Meghin nods, “above the sky,” she says matter-of-factly. She is a good student. “By why do we have to go? You’re here to protect us.” The honest innocence of a child
Mother’s tears begin to fall now. “Yes, that’s what I’m going to do. But I don’t know if… I might not… I want you to be safe. I want you to go with Granmama and take care of her. You protect her. I have to fight the bugs and then I’ll… then I’ll come find you. Meghin is too young to suspect Mother could be lying to her. Mother hugs her tight and then kisses her on the forehead, the lips, each cheek. Meghin reluctantly hugs back. Her tiny hands resting against her mother’s strong arms. Her tiny nose pressed against her sweaty chest. “I love you,” Mother whispers.
“I love you momma,” coos little Meghin., starting to cry a little herself. Her lip quivers any she opens her mouth but there is nothing to say.
Mother carries her to the transport. Inside are other children, other granmamas, granpapas. Only when the transport begins to lift off the ground does Meghin become scared. Mother is left behind. At first Meghin sees her, standing at the edge of the jungle clearing and waving. Then she only sees the trees, then just a sea of dark green in the coming night with an empty brown dot in the middle of it. Then nothing at all, there are too many tears. Mother never comes to find her.
*******

By now I should have 8,335 words.
My current count is 9,063 words.

No comments: