12 November 2008

On Armistice Day

Most of my day was not spent writing. A lot of it was taken up in making a turkey costume for the plush Domo that Maya and I got at Halloween. Now, instead of a pumpkin, Domo is dressed up like a turkey. Really. We also made fajitas for supper and watched the new Futurama movie: Bender’s Game. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, that’s okay. I won’t apologize, but I do give you permission to ignore me.

Starting at about 23:15 tonight (technically yesterday, at this point) I did start writing. I almost let it slide altogether, but I recalled some advice from last year’s attempt: Never go a day without writing. Even if it’s only 10 words, at least you are still working on it. With that in mind I started written and now I’ve got almost 500 words I didn’t have before. That’s something!

Today I noticed a mildly disturbing trend in my writing. Every new character that I come up with is male. Other than Meghin I only have a gender neutral synthetic dressed as a woman and the lady Skorpios refers to. Well, I guess all the aliens are female. Most of them, anyway. But it’s not enough. I’m trying to use all kinds of sources for my names to show the multi-ethnic nature of life off the Earth. I think that in such a future society there would be at least as many women in the workforce as men. So, either I need to go back and change names (maybe a job that needs to wait for draft two) or I need to introduce more females in the pages ahead. Speaking of pages, my .doc is 30 pages long – single spaced!

By now I should have 18,337 words.
My current count is 19,374 words.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I slogged up to 20k today and I haaaaaaate my novel. I'm tempted to change the entire plot just so I can get through it... urrgghh.