20 November 2008

Responsible for All Materials Borrowed

It was very hard to sit down to write today. In addition to going to look at some prehistoric irrigation canals Maya and I became card carrying members of the local library. We checked out a whole pile of books. I got Vladimir Nabokov’s Pale Fire. I’ve wanted to read it for a long time. In fact thinking about it is where I got Pyotr’s last name from. I even snuck that title into Deep Dark as an “Easter egg,” I guess. In any case I won’t start the book yet because I am still in the middle of book seven of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower. That’s just not a place where you can stop and go pick up something else. Yet I can’t read that either, because I’m trying to win NaNoWriMo! So I was stewing in the cognitive dissonance that wanted to read two different things and write something else all at the same time generates.

Noveling won out in the end. It’s the one that has a deadline! I managed to add 1,160 words. I now have finished the boring committee meeting that chapter eleven became and I’ve just started on chapter twelve. I’ve tried something to dial up the tension so that it’s a little less sitting around. This one should be an easy chapter because it’s the one where my xeno expert gets to show off how much he knows.

Aaaaand midnight has come and gone again…

By now I should have 31,673 words.
My current count is 31,879 words.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Yay libraries!
And yeah... I really need to get caught up this weekend...